Thursday 6 December 2012

Skinny vs fat

In this shoot I wanted to focus on weight and how it can become a mental illness, in todays society weight is a massive focal point but when does it become a form of mental health problem. 



In this image I wanted to show how many women's perceptions of weight is many focused on being super skinny like the super models they see in magazines. The stick thin arms and waist has become a iconic image which many women aspire too. However is this a healthy obsession or is it a form of mental illness. I believe that extreme dieting and anorexia to achieve a height is a form of mental illness and should not be encouraged. I wanted to show through this image who a obsession caused by mental illness can become extremely unhealthy and un-natural. 


In this image I wanted to show how someone can view their own bodies in a negative way, they may look completely different to they way the think they are. The form of mental illness linked to weight it when the brain makes you believe you are a different size than you are in reality. This can lead to eating disorders on both ends of the scale, I have tried to show this in my image. For example someone may be skinny but views themselves as fat, or vice versa a fat person believes they are skinny and healthy. 


In this image I wanted to show how a mental illness also to do with weight can be denial, obesity is a growing problem and many fail to acknowledge this. In this image I wanted to show how someone may be overweight but happy because they believe this is normal and healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment